Advanced Placement Flowchart - Click on the above image to enlarge.
Queen Elizabeth High School offers Advanced Placement courses for those who want to further their understanding within a specific course and/or prepare for university/college courses. Students may be eligible to receive university credit for their advanced placement course.
The Advantage and Educational Philosophy of Advanced Placement:
- By participating in an AP course, the student is able to enter a world of intense discussion and thought. AP courses give the students intellectual responsibility to think for themselves and to learn to reason, analyze, and understand.
- AP allows students to undertake college level academic learning and advance into second year college or university courses which traditionally have a much smaller enrollment.
- Upon successful completion of an AP course, students are eligible to receive university credit and/or advanced placement at over 4000 colleges and universities worldwide.
- Research shows that AP students are more likely to graduate from university with a double major and are twice as likely to pursue a PH.D., or studies in medicine or law.
- Students may choose to take one AP course, several courses, or a full AP Program.
- Academic timetables can be tailored according to individual abilities, interests, and extra-curricular time commitments.
World Wide Recognition:
- The Advanced Placement Program allows students to pursue college/university level studies while still in high school.
- More than 14 000 schools worldwide participate in the AP program.
- Almost 1 million students write AP exams worldwide.
- In Canada there are over 454 AP schools, 50 of which are in Alberta.